Thank you for taking the time to complete this quiz. Completion of this quiz is an EMDRIA requirement for completingu00a0your EMDR Basic Training Course.u00a0This is not a pass/failu00a0quiz.u00a0Completion of your quiz, regardless of your score, is all that is needed. A copy of this quiz, along with the answers, and Shapiro text reference pages, can be found under u201cCourse Contentu201d, u201cCore Course Materials.u201d.u00a0
EMDRIA is in the process of developing a standardized, reliable, and valid post-training assessment. Therefore, as this assessment is still in the development phases, a passing score is not required. The quiz can serve as an opportune moment to reflect on your knowledge, and review content that is unclear to you.
Upon completion of the quiz, you will be informed of incorrect and correct answers.u00a0 Reference pages will also be provided should you wish to review the answers.
0 of 48 Questions completed
You have already completed the assessment before. Hence you can not start it again.
Assessment is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the assessment.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 48 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy was first called EMD (Eye Movement Desensitization).
17. It is essential that the clinician clearly inform the client of the possibility for emotional disturbance during and after EMDR processing sessions.
33. When beginning the Installation Phase, the first question to ask is:
2. The Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) model posits:
18. When selecting an image during Assessment Phase, the clinician should ask:
34. When checking the VOC during Installation Phase, the clinician says:
3. In EMDR therapy, pathology is viewed in terms of maladaptive memory networks which have not been fully reprocessed and continue to be held in a state-specific form giving rise to maladaptive perceptions, behaviors, beliefs & attitudes.
19. Which of the following statements is true of the Negative Cognition (NC)?
35. Regarding the Body Scan Phase, Shapiro (2018) states that:
4. Which of the mechanisms of action has NOT been strongly supported as an explanation for EMDR therapy?
20. What is the Validity of Cognition (VOC) scale range?
36. An adequate closure procedure should be established prior to a treatment session. Clinicians should help clients construct a safe and/or calm place in their imagination to use during closure.
5. One way in which EMDR therapy differs from Cognitive Behavior Therapy is no homework is required for EMDR to be effective.
21. In the Assessment Phase, when identifying the “emotion” ALL of the following are true EXCEPT:
37. In the Reevaluation Phase the clinician is paying attention to which of the following:
6. The three-pronged protocol refers to which of the following:
22. The letter “D” in “SUD scale” stands for:
38. The following statements are true for the treatment of children, except:
7. The positive/future template involves applying bilateral stimulation while a client runs through the sequence of a challenging past experience until there is not longer a disturbance associated with it.
23. When beginning the Desensitization Phase, the clinician should ask the client to notice:
39. Because of the potential of EMDR for rapid destabilization, there are many client factors to consider prior to beginning EMDR. Which of the following is not a factor?
8. Shapiro states that history taking should:
24. When starting each subsequent set of bilateral dual attention stimulation in the Desensitization Phase, after the first set it is advisable for the clinician to:
40. Which of the following are true of working with military personnel and veterans:
9. So far, no medications appear to completely block EMDR processing. Although, benzodiazepines have been reported to reduce treatment efficacy with some clients.
25. Shapiro states that during the Desensitization Phase, the clinician should recheck the SUD level:
41. Looking at addiction through the lens or the AIP, which of the following are not true:
10. Shapiro (2018) states that because EMDR therapy has been shown to be effective and efficient, it is not necessary to take steps to test whether clients can manage moderate to high levels of emotional disturbance and to practice self-control procedures.
26. The cognitive interweave is a strategy that is used during reprocessing:
42. When addressing current anxiety with EMDR therapy, the clinician asks the client to identify which of the following:
11. During Phase 1, the clinician:
27. Three primary themes for interweaves are:
43. When targeting a process phobia, the clinician must address all the pertinent aspects of the experience, including decision-making and anticipatory anxiety.
12. Which of the following statements is false about clusters?
28. Which of the following would be an appropriate strategy for assisting a client in maintaining Dual Attention during an intense emotional response:
44. Following the death of a loved one, a person may first experience emotional shock accompanied by numbing. In these cases, psychological first aid, rather than EMDR processing, is recommended at this stage.
13. Shapiro states that screening for dissociative disorders should be done by all EMDR clinicians before starting reprocessing and that treating individuals who meet criteria for DID requires additional training.
29. Shapiro (2018) suggests that when reprocessing effects cease for two consecutive sets clinicians should consider:
45. Which of the following are appropriate statements regarding the use of EMDR therapy with couples?
14. According to Shapiro, the Dissociative Experiences Scale (DES-II) should be administered during Phase 1 as an initial screening for dissociation. Further exploration and assessment may be warranted.
30. Shapiro (2018) states that, when reprocessing is not progressing after changing the nature or type of BLS, the clinician should next consider shifting attention to:
46. Which of the following is true of EMD?
15. Shapiro (2018) suggests the Safe/Calm Place exercise is recommended as part of the preparation phase before starting reprocessing because:
31. Feeder memories are earlier memories feeding the current distress of a specific target. They can impact processing.
47. Which of the following is the first step in the Recent Event Protocol?
16. Which of the following is true about Resource Development and Installation (RDI)?
32. When processing the initial target is unsuccessful, the clinician should consider inquiring about negative beliefs that are blocking progress.
48. For many clients with complex PTSD, it is preferable to begin processing by first targeting recent, adult-onset traumatic experiences or the present disturbing situations or triggers.